Jazz North Introduces:
opportunity for young northern jazz artists
Jazz North Introduces is a new scheme that will provide young northern jazz artists with their first high-profile performance. This initiative builds on the mjf introduces scheme to showcase the very best new jazz talent from across the north. A pilot version of the scheme was run earlier this year with Leeds’ band The Stretch Trio being selected for a showcase at Gateshead International Jazz Festival. Jazz North will showcase the Introduces programme at selected jazz festivals across the North during 2014/15.
Benefits for selected young jazz artists
- a high profile performance opportunity at a leading jazz festival
- The gigs will be paid and expenses will be covered
- Photo shoot for the band
- Video showreel for the band created from interviews and this performance
- Help with producing EPK (Electronic Press Kit)
- Maximum band size is 5 musicians
- 75% of musicians and the nominated leader will be under 25 years of age.
- Musicians can be in full time education
- 75% of band members in any group must be currently living or studying in the north of England (please see the geographical definition below)
- In making our selection of successful applicants, we will prioritise musical excellence, in terms of musicianship, creativity, innovation and potential.
- There are no stylistic barriers
- The band must be ready to gig now and you must be able to provide a recording of your band (including all members)
- You must demonstrate readiness to commit time and attention to the scheme’s activities (listed above)
- The successful bands will be required to complete a simple evaluation exercise with project coordinator
How to apply / deadline
To apply to be considered for this opportunity to perform at partner jazz festivals in 2014/15, please fill out the application form below by:
Monday 16th June
Tips for your application
- submit two or three audio tracks (still within the 10 minute limit) that show what your band can do e.g. show variety of tempo
- if you mention ‘musical genres’ and influential artists in your application, make sure those genres and influences can be heard in your submitted audio tracks
- try to be concise with your answers – nothing superfluous
How Jazz North will select successful applicants
Jazz North will shortlist the applications according to the assessment criteria. This shortlist will then be assessed in more detail by an advisory panel consisting of experienced musicians, promoters, educators and Jazz North staff. Successful bands will be informed of the dates of their festival gigs. All shortlisted bands can receive feedback about their application. The scheme is being coordinated for Jazz North by Jo McCallum.